Sleek 48 Winter 2015/16
The winter issue of Sleek is out now and is dedicated to the most fleeting of arts – scent
Welcome to Sleek’s 2015 Winter issue where the colder weather has compelled us to return inside, and to engage an otherwise overlooked sense: the sense of smell. It’s what drives our most primal choices: who we fuck, whom we won’t fuck, what we will or won’t eat or drink, where we rest. Since the ancient Egyptians, we have devised ways and means of obfuscating, and otherwise deceiving our fellow humans as to our most intimate of odours. Thus, it is the world of smell in art and fashion that we examine in this issue of Sleek. We set 20 artists including Wolfgang Tillmans and Olafur Eliasson the task of documenting scent as inspiration in an exclusive portfolio. In the essay “Molecular Materiality”, author Arielle Bier dissects how artists from Anicka Yi to Sean Raspet are using smells, both fair and foul in their practice to manipulate viewers, create spaces or reverse-engineer environments. Ben Gorham tells us about using scent to create fear.
– We speak to artist Martynka Wawrzyniak, who’s investigating the mechanisms of seduction by synthesising the essence of her sweat into a perfume
– LA artist Frances Stark talks to Jeni Fulton about hip-hop, masturbation and rewriting Mozart
– Fashion sensation Faustine Steinmetz on making clothes that disappear and why we should stop wearing leather
– Angolan artist Nástio Mosquito on alter egos, and his darkly comic performances and videos
– New York artist Josephine Meckseper in conversation: “Taking the artiness out of art is something that interests me”
– We profile the late photographer Sascha Weidner’s creative output in the Cabinet
Subscribe to Sleek today for €32 (or €56 outside of Germany) for four issues and get a coolly modern Domo Vase from Rosenthal. Conceived by award-winning Sebastian Herkner, the oval body has a traditional simple appearance that stands beautifully – independent of its functionality. Every piece is unique and made from a special solid-coloured porcelain paste that provides an unusual smooth matte finish. Available in mint or stone, it is a design object that enhances its surroundings. Please stipulate your choice of colour in your order (while stocks last). Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org to subscribe and receive your Domo Vase.
SLEEK: IN PRINT, ONLINE