#52 Winter 16
Welcome to the winter 2016 issue of SLEEK
SLEEK dedicates issue 52 to The New Native, a term that refers to people who look at home not as a geographic location, but rather as set of friends and relationships, as our EIC Jeni Fulton argues. With a hectic schedule of fashion weeks and travel, our cover star Virgil Abloh from the much-buzzed label Off-White encompasses this concept perfectly. Conversely, “Berlin Calling” focuses on six fashion designers who have chosen to call the German capital home for different reasons. Elsewhere in the magazine, stylist Tess Yopp revisits her childhood home of Moscow in the fashion editorial “On the Margins”; and Michelangelo Pistoletto discusses his career marked by 60 years of artistic rebellion.
– For this issue’s “Ones to Watch”, we speak with painter Celia Hempton, fashion label and LVMH Prize semifinalist Alyx and sound artist Christine Sun Kim
– “Liquid Homes” by Jeppe Ugelvig examines how the post-Airbnb generation of artists is using housing as a site of resistance
– Tacita Dean declares home as “somewhere you find by chance” in an interview where she also talks lasers, the transience of everyday life, and why film is the perfect vehicle for her ideas
– Menswear takes focus in “Boys’ Town”, a fashion editorial shot by Roman Goebel and styled by Toby Grimditch
– A 16-page exclusive visual essay from Amsterdam-based design collective Metahaven
– In “The Last Word” performance artist and musician Mykki Blanco chats with Will Furtado about confronting prejudice and commodification
Subscribe to SLEEK today for just €32 (€56 outside Germany) and receive four issues plus your choice of either a wallet or a pair of gloves from Lisbon-based accessory brand INA KOELLN (while stocks last). With minimalist design and quality materials, both items are timeless yet practical. The “Poldi Leather” gloves, available in sizes 7.5 to 10, are crafted from lambskin and sheepskin, whereas the “Pete Pinatex” wallet is an animal-friendly, vegan alternative that’s the perfect size for either a pocket or a clutch. Subscribe by sending an email with your choice of gift to email@example.com. Please specify your size if selecting the gloves.
SLEEK: IN PRINT, ONLINE