#56 Winter 17
Welcome to the Winter 2017 issue of SLEEK
As the #metoo revelations and protests by the Preis der Nationalgalerie’s nominees demonstrated, gender discrimination and feminist lip-service are alive and well in Berlin. And in this regard, the latest figure of attack is arguably the “influencer”, a typically young, typically slender white woman with an avocado fixation and reams of Instagram followers influencing – well, its not really clear what.
Thus for this issue of SLEEK, we’re going beyond this problematic construction to identify people we think are re-shaping culture and transforming existing notions of identity and politics in the digital age.
- Artist, musician, poet and activist, Juliana Huxtable talks poetry and politics.
- Activist blogger Museum Mammy reinvents The Met for the 21st century.
- New York Magazine’s (in)famous art critic Jerry Saltz talks to us about his controversial trolling strategies.
- Federico Reyes shoots our menswear editorial, “Daddy Cool”.
- We catch up with Anne Imhof to discuss the runaway success of her Venice biennale show, “Faust”, and how she is coping with (art) stardom.
- Agnieszka Polska provides an exclusive portfolio for our Cabinet.
- Curator, RoseLee Goldberg contributes “The Last Word”.
Subscribe to SLEEK for just €32 (€56 outside Germany) and you’ll receive four issues annually, plus three tins of Terre d’Oc fair trade and organic tea. Sourcing the finest teas from the world over, each blend is unique and delicious, be it warming cinnamon and sap tor vanilla-infused Rooibos. Each intricate and Terre d’Oc box pays homage to the long cultural traditions of tea, and is adorned with charming descriptions of the tea-drinking customs in each country. Subscribe by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org today and collect your Terre d’Oc tea while stocks last.
SLEEK: IN PRINT, ONLINE